Well, it's almost that time of year. We will hopefully have a chance to get to the beach and do some reading. Here are my top 12 inspiring picks for your summer beach bag (in no particular order):
1) Studies in Honor of Our Lady of Guadalupe by the Academy of The Immaculate.
I can't help but recommend this book since it is about Our Lady of Guadalupe and partially written by my dear friend Cardinal Burke. My endorsement is on the back cover.
About this volume
"Everyday Blessings for Catholic Moms” and “Catholic Mom’s Café”
is the author of numerous Catholic books including
The Miraculous Medal: Stories, Prayers, and Devotions
Contributors to this volume...
- His Eminence Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke
- Father Angelo M. Geiger, FI
- Mother Miriam of the Lamb of God Moss, O.S.B.
- Father Dwight Campbell
- Monsignor Arthur Burton Calkins
- Father Peter Damian M. Fehlner, FI
2) Journey to Heaven: A Road Map for Catholic Men by Randy Hain (Emmaus Road)
"Each hour of each day you are forming habits that shape your character and will determine where you will spend eternity. When your earthly life ends, it will be too late to change your destiny. In the midst of the hectic demands, busy schedules, and countless interruptions of every day, this book gives you the surefire, divinely instituted "apps" for becoming the man God wants you to be. Use them! Your family is counting on you.
Order here: http://www.emmausroad.org/%2FJourney-to-Heaven-A-Road-Map-for-Catholic-Men--P12146.aspx#sthash.EzdPzQYM.dpbs
3) Mary, Virgin Mother and Queen, Fr. Mitch Pacwa, S.J., (Our Sunday Visitor)
In this compelling new book, Brian O’Neel tells the stories of martyrs associated with North America. Some are from other countries and died in their attempts to spread the faith on
this continent but died doing missionary work in other lands. Some were individual martyrs, and some were part of an heroic group. Some were “white martyrs” who, although they did not shed their blood for the faith, suffered much for the spread of their faith. The book includes:
- A lively presentation about each martyr (or group of martyrs)
- A practical application for the reader
- A historical context for how these martyrs helped the Church to grow in North America
Order here: http://catalog.franciscanmedia.org/Product.aspx?ProductCode=t36551
6) Pope Francis, By Matthew Bunson, (Our Sunday Visitor)
Order here: https://www.osv.com/Shop/Product?ProductCode=T1417
7) He Leadeth Me, by Walter J. Ciszek, Daniel L. Flaherty (Ignatius Press)
He Leadeth Me is the deeply moving personal story of one man's spiritual odyssey and the unflagging faith which enabled him to survive the horrendous ordeal that wrenched his body and spirit to near collapse.
[this book might be out of print but you might be able to find it]
Made for Love, Loved by God will also address common misconceptions about God’s love as well as the obstacles that prevent us from letting God love us. After reading this book, the reader will feel closer to God by being shown a way to be closer to God. It will imbue the reader with the certainty of the psalmist: “The Lord delights in those who wait for his love” (Psalm 147:11).
Order here: http://catalog.franciscanmedia.org/Product.aspx?ProductCode=T36635
9) Marian Gems, Fr. Donald Calloway, MIC, (Marian Press)
In Marian Gems: Daily Wisdom on Our Lady, Fr. Donald Calloway, MIC, shares gems or quotes on Mary that he was inspired to begin collecting when he was a seminarian. He includes a gem for each day of the year, drawn from the writings of the Popes, Saints, Blesseds, and Venerables. When these gems first appeared in his book Under the Mantle, many readers loved them and suggested he publish them in a separate book for daily prayer. He was delighted and took their advice.
Order here: https://secure.marianweb.net/shopmercy.org/books/
10) You Did it To Me, Fr. Michael Gaitley, MIC (Marian Press)
What Fr. Michael Gaitley, MIC, has done in 33 Days to Morning Glory to promote true devotion to Mary, and what he has done in Consoling the Heart of Jesus to promote devotion to the Merciful and Sacred Heart of Jesus, he now does in 'You Did It to Me' to promote the works of mercy.
Order here: http://www.divinemercygiftshop.org/marian/product.asp?prod_name=You+Did+it+to+Me&pf_id=PAHEIDDIPNBOIENE&dept_id=3032&s_id=0
In this new reissue of Fr. Hardon’s classic, the universal Catechism of the Catholic Church is presented in an easy-to-use question-and-answer format. He zeroes in on what question each section is trying to answer and formulates that question in user-friendly language. He then gives a simple answer in his own words, referencing the section of the Catechism that addresses the question.
- What the faith we profess is all about
- Why Christianity is the most credible religion in the world
- How the Catholic Church possesses the fullness of truth Catholics today have a greater responsibility than ever before to educate themselves first and then the world—a world that is starving for knowledge of Christ and his truth. This question-and-answer guide will be a valuable addition to your library.
12) Evangelizing Catholics, Scott Hahn, (Our Sunday Visitor)
You can't keep the faith unless you give it away.