Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Welcoming the new Religious Education year!

Well, CCD for me starts tomorrow. Oh, wait, I am dating myself.  I should probably say that "Religious Education" or "Faith Formation" will begin tomorrow. I've been teaching Religious Education for over 25 years now! I've taught at every grade level. I'll be teaching 5th grade this year which is pretty neat because I'll have some of my fourth-graders from last year. I'm looking forward to seeing some familiar faces, greeting new ones and starting a new school year with the kids. It should be fun and rewarding, please God!

To get ready for it, my co-teacher and I met before the Blessed Sacrament a couple of weeks ago and prayed a decade of the Rosary together for the upcoming Religious Education year. We then met for over an hour or so (it was meant to be a shorter time but we enjoyed it so much!) to discuss the year ahead and catch up too. It was a blessed time.

How's your Religious Education going in your homeschooling environment or at your parish? Are you about to begin? What plans do you have to get the kids excited this year? I hope you'll share in the comment box below. I'd love to hear. Or, feel free to ask any questions you might have about teaching or Faith Formation.

God bless!

Donna-Marie

4 comments:

  1. This is my first year as a CCD catechist, doing Confirmation Prep with 9th graders. My first meeting with parents and candidates did not go as well as I planned. I was so nervous, I could barely speak as my mouth was dried out! Praying thing go more smoothly tonight. First rule, NO cell phones on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Christi. And, thanks for sharing. I love your first rule - brilliant! Now, don't be nervous - take a deep breath before class and say a prayer. Be yourself - and all will be well. Keep in touch and let me know how it goes. I have a feeling it will be splendid tonight!

    I'll say a prayer for you now.

    God bless and a big hug for stepping forward to teach those kids!
    Donna-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twenty-five years of teaching religious education is truly an inspiration!

    I still remember my husband's response not long after we were married when I told him I felt the Lord was calling me to become a catechist for eighth grade religious ed. Kevin's immediate response was delivered with a furrowed brow: "Could you ask Him again?"

    I laughed, but in the end I did end up teaching as an eighth grade catechist and Kevin assisted me.

    Working with kids is always an adventure. What a blessing that you have inspired so many children over the years to love the Lord! How fortunately they are to have a Christ-centered, clearly Catholic woman to teach them about the faith!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Trisha. I love the kids and I always feel that I'd like to keep giving back for all of the blessings God gives me - it's the least I can do. I'll continue as long as I am able, with God's grace.

    Thank you for sharing your great story. :) And, thank you for your kind words.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments, thanks for stopping by! :)