Thursday, August 11, 2011

Review: A Catholic Woman's Book of Prayers

Author and blogger Kate Wicker offers her kind words about my book: A Catholic Woman's Book of Prayers...

As a busy and sometimes frazzled mom of littles, I may desire long blocks of time devoted to contemplative prayer, but life as it is right now is messy, noisy, and full of interruptions. Plus, I have the attention span of a housefly, which makes a contemplative prayer an even greater challenge, but I am working on that. (I was up prayer journaling at 5:30 a.m. this morning. Right now that seems like one of the best formats for prayer time for me because it doesn’t set me up for failure so much as just sitting and being still does.)

Most women – mothers or not – are multitasking mavens. We’re on the move. We’re busy. But we’re also hungry for God. A Catholic Woman’s Book of Prayers is one of Donna-Marie Cooper O’Boyle’s most recent releases, and the diverse collection of prayers for Catholic women offers just the kind of quick, spiritual bites we crave.

I admit I haven’t read the book cover-to-cover or at least not from start to finish (I think I’ve probably covered most of the text by now). Instead, I have tucked the petite book into my purse. It’s the perfect size (it’s smaller than my wallet!) to bring along with me during my daily activities as a wife and mother of little ones. I know it’s there so when I’m blessed with a free moment – maybe I’m stuck in a long line at the grocery store or perhaps my child is busy dribbling a soccer ball during practice – I pull it out and use its wisdom and prayers to help me connect with God.

I’ve also, of course, used the book when I’ve been searching for the right prayer for a particular challenge I might be facing or to cope with an emotion that’s taken a hold of me. Chapter 3, Challenges Women Face, is particularly helpful during these times. I’ve prayed the “Help Me to Find Balance, Lord” on more than one occasion!

The book not only includes traditional as well as original prayers but also brief reflections on sundry topics that speak to a woman’s heart. Inspiration from the saints and other spiritual greats are sprinkled throughout the pages as well.

This book is a wonderful resource for any woman trying to lead a faithful life and desiring a closer union with her Creator.
_____________

Thanks so much, Kate. God bless you and your beautiful family!

You can see Kate's review here at her website/blog: http://katewicker.com/2011/08/dont-leave-home-without-this.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments, thanks for stopping by! :)