Thursday, May 26, 2011

Amazing Grace at the Post Office!

I just love doing something I don't want to do or don't really have time to do. You think I'm crazy, huh? Well, usually there's a lot of hidden grace in doing the things we'd rather not and when doing them not begrudgingly, but instead even with love.

After dropping my daughter off at work I knew I had to go to the Post Office. At that point, I would really have rather gone straight home because my writing work is mounting. I need to finish some things before I can leave for EWTN in Alabama where I'll tape 25 new segments of my "Everyday Blessings for Catholic Moms" TV show. I just finished the latest book I was writing yesterday and am very happy about that but I have to tie up some loose ends with things and prepare for my trip.

Off I went to the Post Office. It was surprisingly quiet there. I mentioned that to the clerk and she said it's been kind of "eerie" lately at all the Post Offces she substitutes at. Well, I did what I needed to do there and also had a short chat with the woman behind the counter about the recent tornadoes. She was quite disturbed about it. Since I knew this woman had read my latest Catholic prayer book for women, I knew I could talk to her about prayer (I probably would have any way!) I told her that she really needs to pray--we all do--and especially to the Blessed Mother and to plead for the Lord's mercy. I reminded her that we are a nation that allows the killing of unborn babies to the tune of millions and said I wonder how much longer God is going to be silent. I wasn't trying to instill fear, but rather was reiterating something I recently heard from a conversation I had with a very holy priest.

So, first of all - interesting conversation at the Post Office - a government building where I absolutely LOVE to talk about prayer :) and then the inspiration came to me to give the clerk a blessed Miraculous medal. It was after I had said "good bye" and she thanked me and told me that she always feels better after she talks with me. All glory goes to God (I am thankful to be His little instrument).

Out in the lobby I stopped to check my purse to see if I had a medal with me. Sure enough, I did! I went back in and got in line again (funny, I was previously in such a hurry to get back to work) and I presented her the blessed medal and told her how I had placed it on Blessed John Paul II's tomb and Blessed Mother Teresa's bed while I was in Rome recently (last September). She was thrilled and placed it over her heart. I told her to wear it in good health and to pray to our Lady for help with our country and our world.

Then the other clerk called me over and shared with me the title of an inspirational book she just read and how it impacted her. So neat to share these things about our faith in the POST OFFICE (where so many good and holy things have happened in the past). God is so good!

Next, off to see Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament because I felt Him calling me. No, not time to go do your work just now - come see ME first! Those weren't His exact words. Off I went to the church and was able to pray part of a Rosary and ask for protection for a daughter who is flying to Israel today and help for a son going on a job interview (Please pray for them, especially my daughter's trip). And I went through my litany of requests about all those who ask me for prayers, and lots of thanks and praise to Him too.

While I was there I felt deeply inspired to arrange a Holy Hour of Reparation to be held on the first Saturday of each month at 3:00 PM, the hour of great mercy, where we can plead for protection for our country and the world while offering prayers of reparation for the outrageous crimes against human life. I plan to discuss this with my pastor and I encourage you all to try to do the same. Even if you can't arrange a formal Holy Hour, at least just gather a group of friends and go before Jesus and pray or just do it yourself.

We need to be open to God's whispers to our hearts especially when we are rushing around and busy. Take time to search for the silence in which to pray as Mother Teresa has always said.

Even if you can't steal away to the Blessed Sacrament for prayer in which to hear Our Lord, lift your heart straight up to God right where you are and He will be there to embrace it--always!

God bless you!

Donna-Marie

4 comments:

  1. this is a beautiful experience of grace and witness to the intercession of Bl. Mother Teresa. my family has found that she is very prompt and direct. she always leads us to Jesus in the Eucharist.

    i will be praying for your special intentions.

    pax Christi - lena

    p.s. i wear the blessed miraculous medal (that you gave me) on my brown scapular. my daughter received a blessed medal from a MC sister at the MC profession we attended on tues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lena,

    Thank you so much for your kind and loving words. I am very grateful about your promise of prayers. I think it's so wonderful about your daughter and the medal and the MC Sisters. How wonderful you were able to attend a profession ceremony. God is so very good to us!

    May you all be richly blessed!

    God bless and hugs,
    Donna-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a sweet reminder of God's way, despite what we might have planned. Thanks Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by, Roxane. Have a great holiday week end!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments, thanks for stopping by! :)